I will be embarking on my big world travel adventure in 4 days. My career as a beauty chemist has caused me to be an incredible hoarder when it comes to products because I want to try everything and when I like them I don't want to use them. However, in today's travel environment you can't really just take a whole metal train case behind you on a cramped 14 hour flight. SO in preparation I started downsizing the items I need for my daily makeup look from long before I left Trinidad so I didn't feel a dependency on having a lot of makeup products. I haven't worn eyeshadow in months and stick to one product instead of my whorish multiple product former ways (I've been known to have 8 mascaras at once, all in use). The following products are the main tools in my arsenal.
1. MAC Cosmetics Eye Kohl in Smolder. I hate eyeliners that are draggy (like to the point of painfulness) or don't give enough payout. This eyeliner always goes on smoothly to give sexy vivid results every time.
2. MAC Cosmetics Mineralize Blush in Lovejoy. This is really a bronzer masquerading as a blush, which I love because it helps add definition to my bronzey island glow (lol). It's a great plum-my colour with lots of never-overpowering gold pigments in it to catch any light and illuminate my whole face.
3. L'Oreal Paris Double Extend Mascara in Black. This product is no longer sold in Trinidad and so I buy it in bulk whenever I am out of the country. It's amazing because it has this great extending formula, but it washes off really easily with warm water and if you happen to fall asleep with your makeup on (which I NEVER do...much) it doesn't rub off on your sheets. It still remains to be seen whether I can get it in China, but just in case I'm going to pick up 3 at Duane Reade tomorrow.
4. smashbox camera ready BB Cream SPF 35 in Dark. I love this product by default. smashbox is the only beauty brand (since last I checked) that has acknowledged that maybe black girls are also interested in amazing trendy life changing products (as BB creams are purported to be due to their multiple benefits). The BB cream trend has spread from Asia westward, but the variety of skintones that are available hasn't spread the same way. For example, "Dark", is smashbox's darkest shade and it's appropriate for my skintone so that tells me that there are a lot of deeper skintoned ladies getting left in the...dark (see what I did there?)
5. MAC Cosmetics Studio Fix in NW43. A product by now that should need no introduction. I hate heavy foundation (I always need to look like myself, imperfections and all, not like a doll) and so this powder to foundation formula has always been perfect for me.
6. MAC Cosmetics Lip Conditioner SPF 15. I don't drink enough water and my lips dry out a lot especially when I head into a new climate. This little lifesaver has rescued me from many a potentially embarrassing ashy lip situation in the past.
7. MAC Cosmetics Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Glorify. Just listen to that name! As we would say in Trinidad, "Dat is bronzer fadda!" (or that bronzer is the best of the best). Unfortunately this was part of a limited edition collection and I don't know if the product is still available. It's almost a garish gold but when used sparingly can look heavenly to highlight cheekbones and tips of noses!